16 – 18 Students

If you receive free school meals, make sure the college has an up-to-date email address for you and that you are regularly checking your emails. We want to be able to support you during this time.

Additional Financial Support

If you live in a household with a gross annual income of £22,000 or below (16-19), you could be eligible for support with meals and travel at Harrogate College. For students with a gross household income between £22,001 and £26,000, travel help only may be available.

Awards may also be made to students in the following circumstances:

  • Students with a gross annual income of £ £16,009.50, based on the Social Mobility Commission’s low pay threshold of £8.07 per hour in 2016 and on the assumption of a 37.5hr contract with paid statutory holiday entitlement) or less per year if a single person living independently.
  • Students with an annual gross income of £7,400 or less per year if single, not living independently but within a household such as with parents, carers, relatives or friends.


You may be able to receive assistance with the cost of travel to and from College if you live more than 1.5 miles from your campus of study. The shortest walking routes on Google Maps is used to calculate the distance.

Passes may be provided for use on First West Yorkshire buses, Arriva, Trans Dev and Metro. This is at the discretion of Harrogate College and the most suitable method of transport will be determined upon receipt of a successful application.

Discretionary Meals

By studying at Harrogate College, you may be eligible for a meal worth up to £2.75 for every day that you are timetabled to attend.

If you live in a household with a gross household income of £22,000 or below, your student ID card will also work as a meal card which can be used in the canteens at Harrogate College.

Similarly, if you are attending a placement you may receive a cash-equivalent voucher to the value of £2.50 per day to be used in at a supermarket of your choice.

Free College Meals

Students who received free school meals at school may be able to continue receiving them at College. To be eligible, student must be:

  • 16-18 years old on 31 August 2019;
  • or have an EHCP;
  • or be a 19+ continuer

and their parent(s) must be in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income Support;
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance;
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA);
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit;
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC));
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit;
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa.

To apply for the financial support, you must be enrolled on an eligible Harrogate College Course. Go to: https://intranet.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/studentzone/zones/front.jsp?deptcode=310.


Harrogate College

Hornbeam Park Ave, Harrogate HG2 8QT United Kingdom

Tel: 01423 879466
Email: contact@harrogate-college.ac.uk