"The strength of this course is Nick's depth of experience. You learn from the problems he has solved." -- Tim, Joiner.
Run by experienced retrofit contractors and People Powered Retrofit experts, this two-day practical course will help you:
- build on your existing knowledge and skills.
- meet other small businesses and sole traders in the Harrogate area.
- keep up to date with the latest green building techniques and products.
- find new opportunities in retrofit.
Who is this course for ?
This course is for joiners, general builders, site managers at small firms who work on any building projects of which Part L applies.
Dates and Times
Please click on your preferred date to book your place:
Book now for January
Book now for March
Standard ticket – £175 (+ £14 service charge)
Drivers and approaches
- Global and ‘local’ motivations for eco-retrofit
- Eco retrofit for all house types
- Base-line energy assessments and the whole-house plan
- Challenges of ‘incremental’ retrofit
Air-tightness and ventilation
- Common air-tightness weaknesses
- Air-tightness scores and the common testing method
- Common air-tightness products and methods
- Importance of effective planned ventilation
Fabric heat-loss: Wall and roof insulation
- Insulation options available for (particularly solid) walls
- Advantages and disadvantages of various insulation methods and materials
- Practical and detailing problems in insulating rooms in the roof
Thermal bridging and thermal by-pass
- ‘Lambda’ (k), Resistance (R) and U values
- Using U values as a tool for assessing building performance
- ‘Vapour-permeable’ and ‘vapour-control’ methods of insulation
- Building regulations target U values for retrofit and extensions
- Principles of thermal bridging and thermal bypass
Floors, windows and doors
- Advantages and disadvantages of various floor insulation methods and materials
- Statutory requirements for windows and doors
- Minimising peripheral heat-loss when installing windows and doors
This course is run by People Powered Retrofit, a not-for-profit service for householders, offering clear, independent advice and support to help plan, procure and deliver retrofit projects to a high standard.