The Truth about T Levels: how much do you know?

8 November, 2022 9:27 am

If you’re looking to continue into post-16 education but don’t see the appeal of A Levels, then you may have come across T Levels. 

They’re the new qualifications that have been developed by the government to offer a learning experience that involves a mix of classroom learning and practical experience. 

Thing is, T Levels haven’t been around long, so you might feel in the dark about what T Levels have to offer and where they can lead you.

That’s why, to help you find out more about this exciting new qualification, we’ve prepared a short true or false quiz to give you the truth about T Levels. 

How many can you get right? Click the headings to reveal the answer!

T Levels are equivalent to three A Levels

TRUE!

T Levels are an alternative to A levels, apprenticeships and other 16 to 19 courses. 

What’s really beneficial is that they are equivalent in UCAS points to three A levels –  making them a great alternative if you want to specialise in one subject area rather than three.

If I choose a T Level, I’ll spend all my time in a classroom

FALSE!

If you like to take a more hands-on approach to your learning, you will probably enjoy the hybrid learning T Levels offer.

You will spend 80% of the course at college, gaining the skills that employers need. The other 20% is spent doing meaningful work experience, where you get the opportunity to put these skills into action.

As part of this, you will get the chance to complete an in-depth industry placement that lasts at least 45 days. During this placement, you will be given a designated role within the organisation you join, allowing you to take your standard work experience placement to the next level.

I won’t get into university with a T Level 

FALSE!

One of the biggest misconceptions surrounding T Levels is that you cannot progress on university if you choose one, but this is untrue. 

A T Level will prepare you to progress into a skilled job, but also provide you with the qualifications needed if you wish to progress into higher education, such as a degree or degree apprenticeship. 

As of October 2022, as many as 130 UK universities have confirmed that T Levels will be suitable for entry on to, a minimum of, one of their courses. 

If you are wanting to progress to university, it’s important that you do your research into which courses will accept T Levels, however there are plenty of options available for you to take this route.

T Levels are only good for people who already know what they want to do

FALSE!

T Level courses allow you to focus on a particular industry or subject area, making them great for anyone who knows what subject or career they’d like to specialise in.

However, within the qualification you will learn skills that are transferable to many different careers and opportunities. 

Take for example our T Level in Digital and IT – whilst learning about software production, design and digital technologies, you will also get the opportunity to explore related areas such as business, ethics and law. 

The skills and experience you will gain from completing a T Level will prepare you for the world of work, regardless of what you choose to do. So if you haven’t yet made your mind up about the career you want, don’t let that stop you from taking this qualification.

I’ll get to work with an employer, which might lead to a job in the future

TRUE!

One of the many benefits of completing a period of in-depth work experience is that you can get to know the employer you work for and start to build relationships with your colleagues.

As a result of this, many employers retain T Level students on completion of their course and support progression within their business to an apprenticeship or into another role.

But even if you don’t stay with that particular employer, the skills you will gain from completing an industry placement will give you an edge over other candidates when it comes to applying for other roles. 

Are you ready to get a head start towards the career you want? Find out about the T Levels on offer at Harrogate College here.